Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Pineapple Plant -- Six of them now!

OK, so when we last left this saga, lol, about growing pineapple plants, I had cut the top off the second of the "next generation" pineapples and put it in water to root.  It did root.  Here you can see how the roots look after just a couple of weeks.  I changed the water twice, and one of those times I pulled out some pineapple fruit from around the little roots.  Otherwise I really just left it alone.  


Once the roots looked viable, I planted the little plant in some soil and it's now set to grow indoors over the winter.  The two new plants will probably not bear fruit next year; they'll probably wait until the following summer to do that.  In the meantime, it's a nice plant I think.  So theoretically the original two pineapples are now six plants.  The original two are still alive.  The two babies that have grown up in and around those original pineapples will need to be divided off eventually.  And then these two new baby plants grown from the original pineapple plants' pineapple fruit.  Try it out!

1 comment:

  1. This is so cool! I had no idea you could do this-it's on my list asap!

    ReplyDelete